Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Canned - Euro Part Duh?!

You're right. This blog should be renamed the 'Random Musings of a Mind that is Unemployed only when in the EU Territory' ... but somehow there's this 'ring' about it thats just missing from the title, so just to keep things short - let me just admit that my creative writing juices (if any) flow liberally like the wines at a Bacchanalian 'partay' only when I am not in the city of Mumbai. A sad, undeniable, singularly cognizable and wholly irrefutable fact.

So my office decided that my presence was imperative at a media conference in Cannes (yes - where Ash goes once a year to remind us that she's recognized outside the country as a national symbol of Bollywood) and as any good employee does - I do not argue with my seniors and betters :-) I didn't of course get the 'amount' of touristing done that we would have during our earlier Euro trips, but hey - am most definitely not complaining.

So right - Cannes. I assumed the worst - over-marketed, over-hyped, over-sold and over-glammed. And well, I wasn't that far off from the truth. But wait. Its also one of the most charming examples of Southern French beach beauty, combined with an almost enviable Mediterranean weather and one of the most gorgeous sunsets I've ever seen. Add the fact that it has one cinema-crazy and glamour-struck stretch of promenade that is supported by a pretty historic old town centering around an old church and bell tower at the top of Cannes ... its fairly complete as great towns go. I can totally see why people flip out over Cannes - I think it totally deserves its place on the map.


My first view of the promenade ... to imagine a 360-degree view, think of tons of old people wearing Gucci and Armani bhaiya ke kapde, jhoothe and bags, and dinchak-ing their way alongside armies of yappy little pricey poochies. Each of those dogs looked they were worth more than my imagined set of diamond earrings.


There's tons of installation art across the Croisette, so fairly often you come across random art being ferried across - like this printed Spideyman type structure.


This was after the beach had closed up ... tons of beach umbrellas all closed up after the end of the Sunburn war.


If you look closer you'd see the blessed hand prints of Akira Kurosawa and David Lynch and several other modern-day cinematic gods. Sigh.


On the beach ...


Found an amazing sand sculpture on the beach ...


I have seen many a glossy Mercedes ... but a matte-finish?!!


So Ash decorates bus stops here ...


The beach on the other side of the Croisette ...


The view from our apartment couch. Aah. Southern France and all that.



They are cinema-crazy ...


It easily had one of the most impressive harbors I've ever seen ... and believe me, Dubai has a VERY impressive harbor.



At the top of Cannes is a gorgeous little Church and bell tower from where you can have a pretty much unobstructed view of the whole city ...


I don't know about you, but something about this hotel (The Inter-Continental Carlton - 'the' place where all the stars stay) reminds me about the Taj at the Gateway ...





Umm ... murder at Cannes anyone?!

And to close the day - the fabulous sunsets I was talking of ...




But of course, to close any post - the readers and my favorite section ... Ze Random Pics.


No clue. I have tons of suppositions, but will offer none.


Because even children need formal clothes for all those dressy occasions.


Uggh. Just turn Neptune's head to get the water flowing.

Next a nice Nice post to come.


Cheerio,
Sushma

3 comments:

Kedar said...

I also want to attend conferences in such nice places... especially ones that are sunny!! :P

Nirali said...

you lead a tough life my friend ;)..glad you had fun..curious about what you thought of Nice..

Sushma Bharath said...

Thanks my loyal readers :-) More elongated description of Nice to follow during the weekend Nirali, but in short - not a patch on Cannes. On its own - interesting and a gorgeous waterview, but strangely seedy in some areas ... especially near the station.