Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The Real Old Monk For Whom I Would Sell My Imaginary Ferrari

I still remember my first 'real' drink. Not something flicked from a friend, not a careless sip from across the table - my first 'ordered' drink. It was nothing fancy, nothing imported, nothing disguised as a fruit.

It was an Old Monk and Coke - referred to me then as a 'Rum-ola'. At the time, I totally enjoyed it ... i scarfed it down, and would proceed to scarf down a few more. It was quick, easy to make and totally affordable. The ideal and ultimate college drink.

As I grew older, the inevitable desire for more 'firangi' alcohol grew. I didn't want to be seen with a rum and coke, and I also joined the bandwagon ... wistfully exclaiming after Absoluts, Schnapps, Bacardi and its ilk. But in those in-between moments when I would revert to my first drink, I would always privately wonder in amusement as to how all those usual fancy descriptors for wine ... bittersweet taste of vanilla, sweet but firm aftertaste, cherry coloring etc could very well describe Old Monk. I could never decipher a single note in any wine I've ever tasted, but I can smell Old Monk from a mile away.

So today, I'm back. With the experience and indulgence of one who has been there, tried that ... but has fallen back on an old favorite. So if you ask me my drink of choice - waiter, one old monk and coke pls ... diet coke btw - well, a few things do change :-)

(If you're wondering what inspired this post - it was when I came across Old Monk as a rum option in a random out-of-town Indian restaurant here in Gottigen, Germany, and I could barely control my glee. There's nothing like desi daru in a firangi dhaba. Cheers! Hic.)

1 comment:

Kedar said...

You actually posted this right after having the Old Monk!! Obviously you did not have enough...

P.S. I told you I was reading your blog :P