Monday, May 31, 2010

Firangi Days & Desi Nights

Its been a very domestic time for me ... especially since Gaurav insists he has a lot of 'work' to do - interpret that as aliens to massacre and battleships to plunder, courtesy Starcraft - so I have managed to devour a PD James, and re-devour The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

All of course free of charge - since typical Indian that I am, I have discovered a gorgeous Crossword-in-the-early-2000's-type bookstore that ... ahem, 'allows' you to 'carry' your book right upto the top floor coffee-shop. Lovingly enough, they don't also seem to show anyone the door in regard to the amount of time you spend there ... and considering I sat there last time till small fungi sprouted around me. It is of course morbidly depressing to be in a bookstore which has 4 massive floors but only a teensy area dedicated to English books ... but am learning to deal with it. The pulp and potboilers will have to do for now.

But when talking about Mr Larsson's literary exploits - I have to reiterate my previous stand ... the third one just doesn't match up to the first and second. And more so because of its utterly fabulous heroine, Lisbeth Salander, who I remember faintly idolizing all the way back in 2006 when I first laid eyes on the Dragon Tattoo. Whether its her bashing the bad guys, tasing them in unmentionable places, hacking her way into random computer systems or her friendly support group of worldwide hackers ... wow. Now that's a heroine!

In the third book, she spends most of her time either in a hospital bed or doing the 'right' thing by going with Mikael's lame-ass plans. Uff. I'm tired of all these guys KNOWING what to do ... give me Lisbeth justice anytime!

Also came across a very ponder-ful review (means = it made me ponder) at Slate (read it: http://www.slate.com/id/2254638) and although I did feel a little sorry for the Larsson-bashing, I have to admit that there's a supremely fantastic heroine trapped in that trilogy. Anyone interested in making her a recurring heroine? Oh right, damn. He's no longer around. Peace, Larsson ... hope you're happy wherever you are. And oh ya, thanks for Millenium. It rocks.

Pictures for car-lovers next ... there was a super cute 'Old Timers Rally' at the Rathaus, which had all these cutesy / cool vintage cars up for a race-type thing. Although I can't make out a Ferrari from a Fiat - have to admit, there was tons of auto eye candy. Enjoi.











Beauties na? And to close - quick update on our happenin' social life ... tomorrow is a Desi get-together which we were invited to by a part-time Indian student / server who espied us while we were quaffling down choco-mochalitas. The programme predictably includes 'Bollywood Dance Party' and 'Dance Presentation'. A room-full of Indians? I immediately saw the possibility of free khana, resource supply names (maane Indian shops) and a possible Indian beautician. Sooper ... simbly cannot wait!!

Will update you on the Desi Party scene when we're back. Till then - cheerios and all that.

Sush

No comments: