Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hypnotizing Chickens ... Holy Cow!


Came across this fascinating read about a dangerous syndrome slowly creeping into our offices (yes - even the media) 'Death By Powerpoint' {read at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/27/world/27powerpoint.html?src=mv&ref=general} or 'Hypnotizing Chickens' as they called it :-) and couldn't stop thinking of our absolutely natal tendency to reduce everything to 'points' and 'diagrams'. I've often been an abuser of Microsoft material myself, and I have to admit that if today I was asked to list anything more than 3 items ... out comes the Excel spreadsheet with 'S.No', 'Item' and 'Comments' with a neat rename of the spreadsheet below.

And for someone who when let loose on a keyboard can type up enough to put the Chambers Concise Dictionary to shame, I often wonder - have we lost the ability to read through anything? Whether its a new brief, a story ... I have become addicted to reading it through bulleted points. Which is also possibly why I actually feel that my reading habit, which was a fairly obsessive compulsion earlier, has now become a yawn-a-page sleep inducer ... rather than the keep-me-awake-till-wee-hours-type pastime it used to be.
The next promise to myself after this blogging promise one shall be one that involves junking the TV at night, and reading a whole lot more. Me swear.

Back to Pamuk.
Cheers
Sush

No comments: